Co-operative Fairtrade Conference in Manchester

This Tuesday some of our students headed down to the Co-op headquarters in Manchester for their first Academt Trust Fairtrade Conference. 

We were joined by schools from all across the Co-operative Academy Trust from Manchester, Stoke-on-trent and here in Leeds. 

As all of the students walked in they were given a brown paper bag. Nick Crofts, president of the Co-op's Members Committee told us that 80% of the bags had crackers in and the other 20% had a cookie. He explained that this was to represent the 80% of people in the world that live below the poverty line.

Helping people out of poverty is one of the aims of Fairtrade. Fairtrade is about better prices, better working conditions and fair terms of trade for the farmers that the products come from. 

"Fairtrade is such a good thing because it's diverse. It's all about being fair and sharing what you have"- Isma Ali

Our students were split up in to groups with the other schools and the day's activities started. We got to design a Fairtrade snack and pitch our ideas to a panel of 'Fairtrade Dragons'. We had to think about where the ingredients we were including came from, and whether they would be Fairtrade or not. 

Then Year 10 students from Manchester Creative and Media Academy talked to us about their journey to becoming a FairAchiever school. They asked us to think about how we could bring back to our own school that could make us 'Fairer'. 

"The Co-op and Fairtrade are such good companies, they share ideas and food. It's really good to be a part of!"- Frahnaz Hosseini

Isma Ali was inspired by the day and treated everyone to the speech she had written for the Lord Mayor after lunch, all about how she was a 'Citizen of the World'. 

The day ended with a Mannequin Challenge with all the other schools. It was great to meet our sister academies and share ideas about how we can make the world a better place. 

"It was so fun, and nice to learn about Fairtrade and the Co-op"- Hasna Sultan